Sunday, August 03, 2008

Color Theory Index

I recently came across some great color resources including a color space round up, a round up of posts regarding color, and a discussion of primary colors all at Making a Mark and all via In A Minute Ago, which reminded me to post an index of all my color posts.

Before you get too excited, please recall that these are mostly my musings regarding the New Munsell Student Color Set, 2nd ed., which I had not finished reading when I started posting about it. But if you dig what I link to from here, you might want to bookmark this post, because this is where I'll return to add links to any future color musings. Nice and tidy!

Color Theory
Color Theory: Q & A
Color Theory: Q & A Part 2 - Chroma
Color Theory: Q & A Part 3 - Color I.D.
Color Theory: Q & A Part 4 - Pigments
Color Theory: Q & A Part 5 - Color Wheel
Color Theory: Q & A Part 6 - Primary Colors
Color Theory: Completed Munsell Color Charts
Your Veg is in My Color Theory
The Color of Heartache
Munsell Exercise 1.3: Determining Values of Colors
Munsell Exercise 1.3: Determining Values of Colors - Checking My Work
Color Theory: Value
Discussions of Value: A Comparison of Resources
Seeing Red
Value: Markers

Other color links:
Via Dear Ada I found Flags by Colours by Shahee Ilyas. The page describes the work:

Using a list of countries generated by The World Factbook database, flags of countries fetched from Wikipedia (as of 26th May 2007) are analysed by a custom made python script to calculate the proportions of colours on each of them. That is then translated on to a piechart using another python script. The proportions of colours on all unique flags are used to finally generate a piechart of proportions of colours for all the flags combined.

Kris's Color Stripes is a very cool blog where an artist named Kris posts pictures and color swatches of the colors in the pictures. I found Kris' blog via Dear Ada, a wonderful blog of visual art.

Idée Labs' Multicolr Search Lab lets you pull up a set of images from Flickr based on their color content. "We extracted the colours from 10 million of the most “interesting” Creative Commons images on Flickr. Using our visual similarity technology you can navigate the collection by colour."

Rubitone (Rubik's Cube + Pantone) is a great idea for the design minded '80's-phile.

Again via Dear Ada I found artist Sarah Charlesworth's Concrete Color series, a beautiful set of photographs with color theory as their subject matter. Googling the title of each piece could provide a seminar's worth of color theory. For example, Googling "Ostwald Triangle" led me to ColorSystem.com's amazing page about German chemist and color theorist Wilhelm Ostwald.

P.S. Thank you SharonB of In A Minute Ago for referring to this roundup as "great." I'll work hard to live up to your high praise.

Click here to return to Gnomicon home page

0 comments: