Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Round Here

I'm clearly at the end of my creativity as far as round up post titles is concerned.

Propaganda portraits, stopping propaganda, green travel wetnaps, online farmers market, NYT chocolate chip cookies, ogee, new to me DIY/craft site, Biden not so hot on crime and punishment issues.

So a few years back, when I subscribed to Vanity Fair, they had this big long article and photo spread about the then new wave of Russian fashion models. I had this vision of painting each photo like a Soviet propaganda poster. I did a bunch of research on Soviet posters and everything. Nothing came of it. Well the folks at Maopost had a similar idea but China and just regular people, maybe even you. Via Photojojo.

Speaking of propaganda, Nieman Watchdog has an excellent article on how reporters can stop inadvertently reinforcing misinformation.

OCD + Green. Biodegradable travel towels via Re-Nest.

An online farmers market in Maryland. Yes, Gentle Reader, I said Maryland. Via Re-Nest.

Not Martha did a comparison of Valhrona feves to Ghiradelli 60% Cacao chips in the New York Times chocolate chip cookie recipe. I didn't quite follow her pre-scooped experiment. Anyone care to interpret? For the ongoing saga of my adventures with this recipe, check here. And we eagerly await Rebecca's first batch report!

My word of the week: ogee. For a definition and fabric examples, please see True Up.

What's that phenomenon when you've never heard of something and then all of a sudden it's everywhere you turn? I'm experiencing that presently with the website Threadbanger. Threadbanger describes itself as

a network for people who love to DIY, recreate, refashion and craft. Forget about corporate stores, we’re here to help you create and find your own style! From our episodes, forum and blog to our newsletter and contests, there is something for everyone. Our goal is to bring together people who can share their ideas, tips and advice with others and help make the world more fashionable – Threadbanger style!
Should I like this site? Or is it just an attempt to be a cool version of Whip Up? Does craft have to try to be cool? Or is my real problem that I fear knit fabric and garment sewing so much that sites like Threadbanger just give me anxiety? I should really take an intro to knits class somewhere so I can just get over it.

My dreams of a revolutionary presidency in terms of law and order issues is somewhat tempered by the selection of Senator Biden as Senator Obama's running mate. For full details on my potentially dashed hopes, please see Prof. Berman's post.

Click here to return to Gnomicon home page

0 comments: