Sunday, October 05, 2008

Cherry Blossom Festival

From weeping cherry tree (Barbados cherry)

As some of you may know, I like bonsai trees, although my record is decidedly spotty; I can usually keep them alive while I'm taking care of them, but I've moved a lot over the last decade, so I end up having to plant them in the ground or give them away.

Anyhow, in response to a dare from Sarah, I have a weeping cherry tree, which I haven't repotted or anything. So I guess it's barely a bonsai at all, since other than a little light pruning on occasion I haven't done anything bonsai-like to it. But it's doing quite well, and as you can see if you click the link, those little pink things aren't some kind of invading fungus, but actual blossoms.



If you can't see the slideshow, the pictures are available here.

This is actually a Barbados cherry, which is a different species (and, if it ever fruits, I think the cherries don't taste very good.) So if the blossoms look funny to you, that might be why.

Also, the little fellow looking up admiringly at the blossoms is from Aunt Jane; he's a little Japanese bear who's supposed to be good luck if you put him in your house looking out a window. I have him with the tree outside, looking out from the window sill, which hopefully is close enough.

Click here to return to Gnomicon home page

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Awesome! How long have you had this little wonder? Were you waiting until it blossomed to share it with us? Did you put it on top of your car for its photo shoot for a reason? I thought those little figurines from Jane were owls, not bears. But what do I know. I think I've lost mine. Hence all my bad luck.

Sarah said...

P.S. Awesome slide show. Please post a how-to on Halfwit Geek.