Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Top Ten DVDs I Netflixed in 2008

About a year ago when I usurped this blog, I posted a list of the Top Ten DVDs I Netflixed in 2007. Seems like a harmless enough tradition to keep up. This is a non-sequential list of the ten DVDs that earned my five stars this year.

To put this list in perspective, I Netflixed over 150 DVDs in 2008. We don't watch broadcast TV. We just watch Netflix DVDs interspersed with the series we own on DVD: The Office, Arrested Development (we bought the whole series after we Netflixed it last year - little did we know we'd move to the Orange County it makes such good fun of), Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and Angel.

Creature Comforts America: Season 1 - I am seriously tempted to buy this DVD just for the Southern mother/daughter pigs. I love them so.

No Country for Old Men - We heart the Cohen Bros. But we didn't get the chance to see this in the theater. We were fools. It is awesome. Tommy Lee Jones' character has the best line, "Once you stop hearing 'sir' and 'ma'am', it's a slippery slope." So true.

The Prestige - So much better than the other period magician movie I also Netflixed, The Illusionist. Not that The Illusionist sucked or anything. We really liked it. But we watched The Prestige twice in a row.

Ed Wood - I know, I know, I should have seen this YEARS ago. I don't know what made me not want to watch it before. It was BRILLIANT! Maybe I just love Johnny Depp in this sort of Willy Wonka-esque role.

The Sting - I know, I know, I should have seen this YEARS ago. It was awesome.

Sicko - As I've said before, this was my big life changing documentary of the year.

King Corn - If you can't be bothered to read The Omnivore's Dilemma, watch this for the Cliff Notes version of Michael Pollan's cornification argument.

The Daily Show: Indecision 2004 - I couldn't get my political humor in real time, so I had to settle for four year old hilarity.

My Kid Could Paint That - Brilliant documentary that I've been meaning to write a more thorough review of since it rocked my world. Modern art, child exploitation, and Binghamton, New York. Does it get any better?!?

Battlestar Gallactica - all three seasons that are thusfar on DVD, the miniseries, and the television movie Battlestar Galactica: Razor - I am SO humiliated to confess this guilty pleasure.

A few honorable mentions (i.e., I read this list to David and he protested the omission of the following):
Gangs of New York
Why We Fight
Our Brand is Crisis
Northfork
Charlie Wilson's War
Michael Clayton

Click here to return to Gnomicon home page

0 comments: