Thursday, April 28, 2011

CSA Basket . . . Lost Count


I'm showing off my roses with the CSA basket to make up for skipping enough basket posts that I've lost count. We're definitely into the spring quarter, so we've officially been getting baskets for a year now. This week's CSA basket contained: Romaine, Red Leaf Lettuce, Turnips, Radishes, Cauliflower, Leeks, Carrots, Beets, Chard, Fennel, Avocado, Snow Peas, Cabbage, Strawberries! Navel Oranges, Tangerines, Celery, Parsley, and Cilantro. I traded in the fennel and cabbage for more carrots and oranges. The Wee Bairn LOVES oranges.


I used the red leaf lettuce and snow peas in an Asian chicken salad for dinner.
So, if you don't already know, we have extremely limited backyard space. We compost, but we can fill up that little compost bin pretty quickly especially on CSA Basket Day. When I can on CSA Basket Day, I like to trim off all the greens I'm not going to use, like from the tops of carrots and radishes, and give them to Bridget for her donkey Boo Boo, pictured above on the right. I believe the horse helping Boo Boo with the composting is Yogi.
Bridget's chickens get in on the composting as well. Which makes me feel better about stealing so many of their eggs.

Click here to return to Gnomicon home page

0 comments: