Sunday, May 01, 2011

April's Au Lait du Mois: Creme Fraiche

Another tardy Au Lait du Mois. I know. But this one really did get made in April. As it goes from start to finish in just a little over 12 hours, that was easy enough to accomplish on April 30th.

I didn't use raw milk this time. Instead I used organic pasteurized half and half. I picked up two pints (a.k.a. a quart) at Trader Joe's.

I used a cup of my fresh creme fraiche (is that redundant?) to make my Pizza del Mese, an Alsatian Tarte Flambe. But I'll talk more about that tomorrow.

Creme Fraiche adapted from Ricki Carroll's Gourmet Home Dairy Kit
Ingredients:

  • 1 qt. light cream or half and half

  • 1 packet Creme Fraiche direct set culture

Implements:
  • 2 qt. pot with lid

  • Dairy Thermometer

  • Slotted spoon

  • Yogotherm yogurt incubator

Procedure:
  • Pour the light cream or half and half into a 2 qt. pot and affix the thermometer in a readable position.

  • Heat the light cream or half and half to 86 degrees.

  • Pour the light cream or half and half into the Yogotherm.

  • Sprinkle 1 packet of the creme fraiche direct set culture over the top of the light cream or half and half. Wait about a minute to let the culture bloom. Then stir the culture into the light cream or half and half.

  • Cover and allow to set for up to 12 hours. I let mine set for 20 hours and it seemed a bit thick, but otherwise perfectly cool. It will keep for up to 1 week in the refrigerator.


Previous Au Lait du Mois:

Click here to return to Gnomicon home page

0 comments: