Squash on Pizza, Way or No Way? After tasting this pizza, I am a firmly in the "Squash on Pizza, Way" camp.
September's Pizza del Mese: White Clam Pizza). I used the Classic Pizza Dough because when I made October's Pizza del Mese, I just tripled the dough recipe, then divided into thirds, let them rise, and put two of the thirds in ziploc bags in the freezer.
Winter Squash, Onion, and Pine Nut Pizza adapted from Pizza: Grill It, Bake It, Love It! by Bruce Weinstein and Mark Scarbrough
- Vegetable oil to apply to the cooking surface of Lodge Pro Logic Cast-Iron 14-Inch Pizza Pan
- One recipe Classic Pizza Dough (see recipe in January's Pizza del Mese: Pizza Margherita)
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 med. yellow onions, halved through the stem, then thinly sliced (you can tell I used rings instead of cutting my onions this way . . . I also grilled them instead of pan frying them).
- 3/4 C winter squash puree (to make up for my onion transgression I made my winter squash puree from an actual winter squash)
- 1 t rubbed sage
- 1/4 t ground nutmeg
- 1/4 t salt
- 1/4 t freshly ground black pepper
- l 1/2 oz. Parmigiano-Reggiano, or Grana Padano, or Pecorino, finely grated
- 1 T pine nuts
- Position the rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 450.
- Apply a thin coating of vegetable oil to the surface of the cast iron pizza pan. Lay the dough at its center and dimple the dough with your fingertips. Then pull and press the dough until it forms a 14-inch circle on the pizza pan.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat, then swirl in the olive oil. Add the
onion slices, reduce the heat to very low, and cook, stirring often, until soft,
golden, and very sweet, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, stir the squash puree, sage, nutmeg, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl until uniform. Spread this mixture evenly over the prepared crust, leaving a 1/2-inch border at its edge.
- Top with the caramelized onions, then sprinkle the grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
and pine nuts over the pie.
- Place the pie on its pizza pan in the oven on the middle rack. Check it about every three minutes for the first nine minutes to pop any air bubbles that may blow up at its edge or across its surface. Bake until until the crust is somewhat firm and lightly browned, 14 to 16 minutes.
- Transfer the pizza pan to a wire rack to cool for 3 minutes. Remove the pie from the pan, transferring it directly to the wire rack to cool for about 5 minutes.
- January's Pizza del Mese: Pizza Margherita
- February's Pizza del Mese: Mushroom Pizza
- March's Pizza del Mese: Broccoli and Tomato Sauce Pizza
- April's Pizza del Mese: Alsatian Tarte Flambe
- May's Pizza del Mese: Fig and Prosciutto Pizza
- June's Pizza del Mese: BLT Pizza
- July's Pizza del Mese: Plum Tomato and Fresh Mozzarella Pizza
- August's Pizza del Mese: Chili Deep-Dish Pizza
- September's Pizza del Mese: White Clam Pizza
- October's Pizza del Mese: Broccoli Cheese Deep Dish Pizza